Enrollment / Choice Transfers

Any student who resides outside the district may apply to attend a school in the district or file the parental declaration of the intent to provide home-based instruction and enroll for ancillary services, if any. All applications for nonresident attendance or home-based instruction will be considered on an equal basis. The district shall provide information on inter district enrollment policies to nonresidents on request and have copies of the Superintendent of Public Instruction's annual information booklet on enrollment options in the state available for public inspection at each school building, the central office and local public libraries.

A parent or guardian shall apply for admission on behalf of his or her child by completing the appropriate district application. The superintendent shall develop an application form which contains information including, but not limited to, the current legal residence of the child and the school district in which he or she is currently enrolled or receiving home-based instruction, the basis for requesting release from the Students in costumesresident district and the specific building and grade level (elementary) or course offerings (secondary) in which the student desires to be enrolled if accepted by the district

  1. The superintendent or designee will accept or reject an application for nonresident admission based upon the following standards:
  2. Whether space is available in the grade level or classes at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled;
  3. Whether appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the student's condition as stated in requesting release from his or her district of residence; and
  4. Whether the student's attendance in the district is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff.
  5. Whether the district has already accepted as many nonresident students for the school year as permitted by this policy.
  6. Whether the student's disciplinary records indicate a history of violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership (a gang means a group of three or more persons with identifiable leadership that, on an ongoing basis, regularly conspires and acts in concert mainly for criminal purposes).
  7. Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the district's policy for readmission of expelled students.
  8. Whether the student has a sibling or siblings attending school in the district.
  9. Whether the student was previously enrolled in a pre-school program offered by the District.

If the non-resident student is the child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee, the superintendent shall accept the transfer request unless the nonresident students

  1. Has a history of convictions for offenses or crimes, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership;
  2. Has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days; or
  3. Enrollment of a child would displace a child who is a resident of the district (the child must be permitted to remain enrolled until he or she completes his or her schooling).

A student who resides in a district that does not operate a secondary program shall be permitted to enroll in secondary schools in this district in accordance with state law and regulation relating to the financial responsibility of the resident district.

The superintendent or designee in a timely manner shall provide all applicants with written notification of the approval or denial of the application. If the student is to be admitted, the superintendent shall notify the resident district and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records.

If the application is denied, the superintendent will notify the parent or guardian of the reason or reasons for denial and the right to petition the board, upon five school business days prior notice, for review of the decision and to have a hearing before the board at its next regular meeting. Following the hearing by the board, a final decision shall be promptly communicated to the parent in writing.

The final decision of the district to deny the admission of a nonresident student, the written notification to the parent or guardian shall state the reason or reasons for denial and shall further advise that the final decision may be appealed to the superintendent of public instruction or his or her designee under RCW 28A.225.230(3).

For additional information on choice transfers check out the OSPI webpage for Choice Transfers

Files and Resources:

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.